We’re rail-y excited about this one. Amtrak’s Cascades train service to Vancouver, BC has resumed after a two-year hiatus — just in time for fall vacay planning. 🍁
Tickets are as low as $34 one way from Seattle’s King Station to our Canadian neighbor, with daily round-trip service that goes through Edmonds, Everett, and Bellingham. The leisurely chug-a-chug up the coast is a scenic journey, and may be a bit more appealing than waiting in security lines at the airport or sitting in I-5 traffic.
Maple leaf it up to us to prep your next cross-border trip.
Bring it on 🧳
Starting Sat., Oct. 1, Canada is lifting all its COVID-related travel restrictions, which means US travelers will no longer be required to bring proof of vaccination when visiting.
Using the ArriveCAN app, a mobile platform that contains your travel documents, will also be optional starting Saturday — as will masking on trains in Canada.
Carry-on baggage for the Cascades service is limited to two pieces — and seating is usually on a first-come, first-serve basis (small dogs + cats are welcome, BTW).
What to do 🗓️
If you’ve never been to Vancouver (or it’s been awhile), be sure to mark these sightseeing suggestions + events on your to-do list.
- Granville Island | Open year-round | Free | Take a mini ferry out to this charming destination filled with food vendors, breweries, art galleries + theaters — and see if the popular main market measures up to Pike Place.
- Vancouver International Film Festival | Thurs., Sept. 29-Sun., Oct. 9 | $10+ | One of the PNW’s most prominent cinematic extravaganzas has 100+ features to see — plus performances and panels.
- Richmond Night Market | Through Sun., Oct. 9 | $6+ | The season is almost ending for this popular Asian foodie paradise — the largest night market in North America.
Where to stay 🏡
Here are some sweet crash pads around town — prices listed are US dollars per night.
- Two-level townhome | $250 | Close to restaurants + Stanley Park
- Oceanview suite | $156 | Serene Lions Bay spot + less than 30 minutes from Vancouver
- Sky-high condo | $224 | Pretty views + free parking