Jump for joysticks — PAX West is ready to play again. The final boss-sized expo at Seattle Convention Center will celebrate video + tabletop gaming culture with demos, panels, tournaments + colorful cosplay throughout Labor Day weekend. Passes start at $64.
Be sure to peruse the full schedule + keep an eye out for booths from local indie producers like tinyBuild + Ska Studios. But in case you’re feeling overwhelmed with all the options, here are some top events to get you leveled up.
- Storytime with Matt Booty | Fri., Sept. 2 | 10:30-11:30 a.m. | Main Theatre | The head of Redmond-based XBOX Game Studios talks about his pixel-filled journey.
- The Psychology of Pokémon | Fri., Sept. 2 | 2:30-3:30 p.m. | Horse Theatre | Wait, is “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” empowering — or too much pressure?
- Pitch Your Board Game in 60 Seconds | Fri., Sept. 2 | 6-7 p.m. | Sandworm Theatre | We know you’ve got a killer idea that could be the next “Catan.”
- Mariachi Entertainment System and Triforce Quartet | Sat., Sept. 3 | 8:30-10:30 p.m. | Main Theatre | Enjoy a super nerdy mariachi band + string quartet playing your favorite video game soundtracks.
- Parenting a Gamer | Sun., Sept. 4 | 11 a.m.-12 p.m. | Sasquatch Theatre | Led by a teacher — who’s also a parent + a gamer — this panel is about building healthy relationships.