Release the giant smiley sea creature. On Saturday, the Seattle Kraken revealed their new mascot Buoy the Sea-Troll — the “nephew of the Fremont Troll” who comes with a removable tooth.
The big news came days after a short teaser video was released, in which local sports stars like Detlef Schrempf + Breanna Stuart made some, er, interesting suggestions. Mayor Bruce Harrell even weighed in, pitching Seattle landmarks like the Great Wheel + the Space Needle as mascots. We see the point, but nah.
a new friend is coming to The Deep soon 👀 pic.twitter.com/3JTbHxBItX— Seattle Kraken (@SeattleKraken) September 27, 2022
It’s cool to have Buoy alongside our other fuzzy, sportsball-loving friends. But where does the new kid stand in the local mascot power rankings? A rundown:
- Mariner Moose: Feelin’ his antlers now that his team is playoff-bound.
- Blitz: Up + down to start the Seahawks season, but it’s Bird-Safe Seattle Week.
- Doppler: Taking a well-deserved vacay after a great Storm run.
- Sammy: Lovable orca, even if the Sounders end up missing the MLS postseason.
- Squatch: Hopefully will meet him again one day.
Game on, Buoy.