The rodeo. The deep-fried treats. The live concerts on the Grandstand Stage. All this could only mean one thing: The Washington State Fair returns to Puyallup Fair & Events Center from Fri., Sep. 2-Sun., Sep. 25. 🗓️
In the early 20th century, the fair welcomed people from around Washington to view horse races, auto polo + fiddler contests in its early years. By 1991, it had developed into a summertime tradition + one of the largest state fairs in the United States — reaching over 1 million visitors annually.
This year marks the fair’s 122nd year in business, so we want to prep you with everything you need to know before you go. Ride with us. 🎟️
⏰ Hours, tickets, parking
- Gates open between 9:30-10:30 a.m., depending on the day of the week.
- Tickets are available both online + in person. One day admission ranges from $12-18 + kids ages 5 and under get in free.
- Prices to park range from $12 on weekdays to $18 on weekends.
- Take advantage of the fair’s various free admission days.
🎶 The concerts
Some big names are headlining the Washington State Fair Grandstand. All concert tickets include same-day gate admission to the fair, up to a $16 value. Among the shows:
- Ann Wilson of Heart with special guest Night Ranger | Fri., Sep. 2 | 7:30 p.m. | $40+
- Blake Shelton with special guest Wade Hayes | Sat., Sep. 3 | 7:30 p.m. | $95+
- Nelly with special guest Breland | Sun., Sep. 4 | 7:30 p.m. | $45+
- The Beach Boys | Mon., Sep. 5 | 6 p.m. | $35+
- Shaggy and TLC | Thurs., Sep. 22 | 7:30 p.m. | $50+
- Lynyrd Skynyrd | Sun., Sep. 25 | 7:30 p.m. | $80+
💪 The competitions
The Washington State Fair also offers an assortment of creative competitions where fair attendees can enter their own work — from photography to wine making — and win cash prizes. Downloadable pamphlets provide details on how to enter.
🍗 The fried fair fare
As always, expect a lot of decadent food throughout the venue, as well as specialty beverages to wash it down. Check out the deep fried salsa fritters at Totally Fried, or the chocolate covered bacon at Bacon! Bacon!! Bacon!!!
Want even more delicious fun? Check out the light-up beverage from Glow Tea — a new addition to the fair this year.
🎉 The festivals
- Biggest Little Livestock Show | Fri., Sep. 2-Mon., Sep. 5 | Free | Get up close and personal with miniature animals like Dexter cows.
- Extreme Dogs | Fri., Sep. 2-Sun., Sep. 25 | Free | Watch a talented team of dogs + their world-champion trainers perform a series of high-flying + athletic tricks.
- Fine Art Show | Fri., Sep. 2-Sun., Sep. 25 | Free | Wander through the gallery to view an array of original works from local artists, along with daily demonstration.
- Puyallup Rodeo | Thurs., Sep. 8-Sun., Sep. 11 | $35+ | Cowboy hats and all, the pros will compete in bull riding, steer wrestling + barrel racing competitions.
🦖 The exhibits
The Washington State Fair is known for exhibits spanning all kinds of interests. Head to the Centennial Building to check out the fair’s newest exhibit — Expedition: Dinosaur. Or pet some cute critters at the Fair Farm, which houses bunnies, goats, llamas + chicks.
💡 Final game plan
Of course, no fair is complete without rides + games, and the Washington State Fair will have plenty of those, too. This daily calendar of events + the fair’s free mobile app will help you map out your visit. Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to explore it all — and wear comfy shoes. 🎡