Have fun in Florida, man — Amazon founder Jeff Bezos announced that he’s moving to Miami after ~30 years of PNW livin’.
Bezos for a long time has been both the Seattle area’s richest resident (the title now belongs to Bill Gates — surprise, surprise) and one of our most famous public figures. Though he explained that he’s moving to be closer to his parents and Blue Origin work, Bezos also seems to be pretty sentimental writing, “Seattle, you will always have a piece of my heart.”
If Bezos is feeling wistful, he may be remembering some of his more humble roots in the area.
- Amazon was founded on July 5, 1994 in Bezos’ Bellevue garage as an online book retailer. He thought these would be the most profitable item to start with.
- Amazon’s first campus was established in 2007 in South Lake Union with 11 buildings.
- The Amazon Spheres opened to the public on January 30, 2018.
You’re going to miss us
We understand it’s time for Bezos to move on, but Miami is about as different of a city you can get from Seattle considering the weather, culture, and geographic placement. Here are a few other things we know Jeff won’t be able to find down there.
- Flannels — time to switch those out for flip flops
- Mountains — just the beach sounds boring, tbh
- Seasons — Summer all of the time is going to get old.
So, bon voyage, Bezos — though it sounds like we may see you again soon if the Seahawks go on sale.