Support Us Button Widget

Seattle’s population nears 800,000 residents

The new estimate confirms Seattle’s general trend of growing by ~100,000 residents every 10 years.

pexels-photo-5872656.jpeg

*sniff, sniff* We’re really growing up.

Photo via Pexels

Wait a minute, who are you? According to an April 1, 2024 estimate from the Washington State Office of Financial Management (OFM), Seattle’s population has grown to just a hair short of 800,000 residents.

Our official estimate rounds us off at 797,700 Seattleites — an ~18,500 increase from 2023 — but what’s a little more interesting is that this number solidifies a new trend for Seattle’s growth. We’re seeing more than 100,000 new residents in the city every decade. Seattle’s population hit 700,000 in 2017 and 600,000 in 2009.

Another notable data point from this population round-up is that Washington also reached the 8 million mark this year. The state said that net migration was the biggest factor in the 84,550-resident increase, accounting for 82% of it. Natural change was responsible for the remaining 18%.

Bake that lasagna — you’ve got some neighbors to meet.

More from SEAtoday
Some of Seattle’s go-to places for frozen treats are participating in the statewide tour of locally owned shops serving gelato, frozen custard, yogurt, ice cream, and soft serve.
We’re introducing the brains behind SEAtoday’s newsletter, articles, and social media.
To celebrate Hoa Mai Park’s opening, Seattle Parks and Recreation will be hosting a ribbon cutting ceremony with music, food, children’s activities, and a Lion dance performance by Mak Fai Kung Fu on Saturday, July 27.
The Emerald City is well represented on the world stage at the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics — here are some Seattleites to watch.
This monthly underground film festival aims to connect artists with an audience in a way that doesn’t break the bank + fosters community.
Bumbershoot Gives Back hopes to tackle food insecurity in Western Washington by giving away 2,000 free tickets encouraging to locals who volunteer with local food banks.
Thirsty? We’ve rounded up a few local drink deals and imagined how we would sip our way through our perfect local beverage day in Seattle.
Focused on fostering a collaborative environment, Bloomberg Green Festival brings climate innovators, policymakers, artists, and more to Seattle Center for five days of interactive learning experiences.
From Bellevue to Bainbridge, we’re giving you all the pertinent details about some of the districts in and around Seattle.
The Graham Street Light Rail Station Project would create a new stop between stations along the 1 Line’s current track.