Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Seattle spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Ken’s Market, 7231 Greenwood Ave. N. | The longtime family-owned grocer has a wide variety of local products, including portable Mark Thai Food Box meals, Yonder Cider + San Juan Salsa.
- Metropolitan Market, 100 Mercer St. + 2320 42nd Ave. SW | Head to the “Things We Love” section online to scout out specials or treats like small batch kettle corn.
- M2M, 120 Broadway E. | H Mart’s offshoot has Asian snacks galore, juices, instant noodles + a coffee bar if you need to caffeinate before heading out.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Acid Tongue, “Arboretum”
- Brandi Carlile, “In These Silent Days”
- The Head and the Heart, “Living Mirage”
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- 34th Street Garage, 2410 34th Ave. W.
- Repair Revolution, 2437 6th Ave. S.
- Taskar Garage, 7501 15th Ave. NW
Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: