Ready to get plugged in? This week, Starbucks and Volvo announced a joint effort that would install up to 60 fast charging stations for electric vehicles at strategic coffee shop locations between Seattle and Denver. This may make the picturesque drive a little easier for EV road trippers — something many current owners have had troubles with.
The stations would be spaced every hundred miles or so along I-90, I-84, and I-70 in an effort to reduce some of that “range anxiety” for those who own EVs (no one wants to be stranded on the side of the road).
Moving with the current
This latest initiative is just one stop on the drive to expand EV resources all over the Emerald City. In addition to the 2,000+ charging stations spread out around the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue area, there’s now:
- Legislation that requires new apartment buildings to include charging capabilities
- New residential curbside charging stations for folks who have to park on the street
- Tons of private company efforts to expand charging networks
This might be why Seattle recently ranked as the second best city in the US for electric vehicles — and don’t expect any slowdown either, since Washington state hasset a target of halting the sale of non-electric vehicles by 2030.
Start your… batteries
All that buzzy talk of charging stations + resources is cool and all, but hitting the accelerator on owning your first electric vehicle may come with some questions. Here’s a few local resources to help you out.
- The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association | This local org’s main purpose is to help educate folks on everything from charger types to how to convert your own gas-powered car.
- Seattle City Light’s Info Page | The gov department has been super involved in making electric vehicles more convenient in the city — this page can help calculate commute costs, find financial incentives, and explain the difference in types of charging stations.
- PlugShare | This app can help you find charging stations while you’re out on the road and in need of some juicing up.