This is not a drill, Seattle. The Mariners are in the playoffs for the first time in 21 years, starting with the Wild Card round today at 1:07 p.m. against the Blue Jays in Toronto.
You can check out the best-of-three series on the couch (ESPN), at your local bar, or with other fans at the watch parties happening all weekend long at T-Mobile Park.
But before you start chatting with any crazed face-painters next to you, let’s review some Mariners-related lingo for those still playing catch-up.
- J-Rod: Nickname for the amazing rookie phenom, Julio Rodríguez — not to be confused with former Mariner A-Rod.
- Big Dumper: Nickname for catcher Cal Raleigh, likely related to his stocky frame.
- Good Vibes Only: Phrase used regularly after third baseman Eugenio Suarez said it in an interview.
- The Rally Swelmet: Darth Vader-like plastic helmet made by a fan in 2016 the team has revived this year, often wearing it in the dugout after big plays.
- Infield Win Dance: Celebratory folk dance after each victory that’s gotten increasingly elaborate — we hope to see plenty more now.