How to collect unclaimed money from the state in Washington

Photo via Pexels

Anyone with a last-known address in Washington may have unclaimed money that the state is holding. It could be an old utility deposit you forgot about or an old payroll check that didn’t make it to an address before you moved. 

If a company tries to send the money but it doesn’t make it, that money goes to the Department of Revenue Washington State. Then, the state tries to find the rightful owner. If that person has died, the appropriate family member can claim it. There is no time limit for residents to make claims.

Do you have any unclaimed money? Here’s how to start your treasure hunt:

  • Click here for the state’s unclaimed money search, and from there, click the orange button in the middle of the web page titled, “Search” to begin the process.💰
  • Enter your business name or last + first name. 
  • You also have the option of adding in more details with an “advanced search,” by entering the city. Either way, you’ll be prompted to another page, with names + addresses.
  • Search the list of names to see if your name is there, along with a familiar address. If it is, click the claim button on the left side. 
  • Once you have selected all the options with your name and address select view your unclaimed property at the bottom of the screen.
  • There’s a short form that asks you for your social security number, along with a bit more basic information. 🕵️
  • Type that info in to make your claim + voilà, information on how much money you may be owed will appear. 
  • From there, state officials go through a due diligence process to make sure the right person is claiming the money. Claims can take several weeks to process. ⌚