Hey, got any room on that futon? The University of Washington begins its fall quarter on Wed., Sept. 28 + expects to welcome about 7,200 new students — one of the biggest freshman classes in UW history. Wowza.
With Huskies already moving into campus housing this week, the time is right for a cram session on how families can help their totally amazing scholars settle in after leaving the nest. Wait, give us a sec — anyone have any tissues? We’re just so proud. 😭
Cool stuff for the dorm 💡
- Fremont Vintage Mall | 3419 Fremont Ave. N. | Shop for unique antiques + quirky decor — velvet unicorn paintings are essential, right?
- UW Surplus Store | 4515 25th Ave. NE | In the know Huskies hit up this shop that reuses unwanted items from the college’s various departments at discounts. Open to the public on Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Caffeine + snack breaks ☕
- Cafe Solstice | 4116 University Way NE | This super relaxed shop is great for a study group — or just to chat up new classmates.
- Mr. West Cafe Bar | 2685 NE Village Lane | With a robust breakfast, lunch + dinner menu, this is a versatile spot when the fam needs a post-moving day siesta.
- Off the Rez Cafe | 4300 15th Ave. NE | Seattle’s first Native American food truck has a shop inside the Burke Museum with delectable fry bread tacos — make a day of it.
Mark your calendars 🗓️
- Dawg Daze | Through September | Various locations | First year students can snag discounted tickets to a Huskies game or the zoo while checking out some family-friendly campus activities.
- Journey Through the UW Libraries | Ongoing | Various locations + virtual | The self-guided tour of the spectacular, Hogwarts-like spaces is open to anyone, but students can win a $20 e-gift card if they complete it during Dawg Daze.
- Fall Fling | Mon., Sept. 26, 3-7 p.m. | HUB Lawn | There’ll be live music all afternoon — and probably lots of frisbee throwing.