OMG — it’s really happening (like 99.9999% sure). After more than two years of fixes, we’re t-minus three days away from the reopening of the West Seattle Bridge. *Internal squealing*
Crews are finishing up some final work + testing for the grand rebridge-ification on Sun., Sept. 18. But while seeing the actual roadway in action again for 100,000 daily drivers is cool and all, it’s what’s on the other side that counts.
Below are a few things to look forward to when visiting the former accidental island.
Party time 🎉
As you might imagine, folks are jazzed. Some of the pomp + circumstance over the next few days includes a press conference from Mayor Bruce Harrell tomorrow on Harbor Island with Senator Maria Cantwell + special guests.
Sports bar Ounces is also hosting a Bridge Reopening Party all weekend long with food, live music + an island-themed bouncy house for the kiddos. There’s an IPA called “Reunited” on tap — and if you haven’t gotten your t-shirt yet, what are you waiting for?
So, what’s new? 🍹
- Benbow Room | 4210 Admiral Way SW | Restaurateur Mark Fuller went all-in on a pirate theme when renovating this old school dive.
- Lily’s Salvadorean | 2940 SW Avalon Way | This former farmers market staple opened a new restaurant this year with pupusas for days.
- Fleurt Collective | 4536 California Ave. SW | The longtime jewelry + apparel store recently underwent a makeover + added housewares.
Mark your calendars 🗓️
- Spelldown After Dark | Fri., Sept 16 + Fri., Sept. 23 | 7-10 p.m. | Skylark Cafe and Club, 3803 Delridge Way SW | An adult spelling bee may sound classy — but it’s still tense.
- Wine Walk | Fri., Sept. 23 | Windermere, 4526 California Ave. SW | $35 | Enjoy sips from 16 different wineries.
- “Swimming While Drowning” | Wed., Sept. 28 | 7:30 p.m. | ArtsWest | $10 | Preview this award-winning play before its Seattle premiere.